Showing 71 results

Authority record

Administration of Ecclesiastical Temporalities

  • AET
  • Corporate body
  • 1972-

The Administration of Ecclesiastical Temporalities is currently delegated by the Bishop to the Executive Director. This office looks after the secular functions of the Diocese, including administration, finance, staffing, etc. In 1972 the Alberta Catholic Directory first lists a business accountant in the Bishop’s Office, Mr. E. Howard Smith. In 1979 Temporalities were overseen by a Business Manager, Mr. Joseph Comessotti and the two worked together until 1981 when Smith retired. In 1986 the ACD lists Comessotti as Business Manager and in charge of Revenue/Project Forward. In 1987 Financial Administrator, Rev. Robert Devine was appointed to replace Comessotti in looking after temporal affairs and Stewardship. In 1990 Rev. Devine began administering the Hospice of St. Jude as well as heading the Stewardship Program and Mr. Denis Doucet was hired as Business Manager. In 1991 Fr Pat Cramer became Vicar of Temporalities and Chairman of the Diocese Finance Council. In 1992 Dr. Marilyn Smelski headed the Stewardship Program and in the following year Colin MacIsaac became Finance Office, working with Doucet and Smelski. In 1995 the Annual Bishop’s Appeal took over some of the role of the Stewardship Program. It was headed by Richard Garnett.
In 1995 there was an overhaul of the Diocesan Temporalities, aided by Mr. Hugh MacKinnon of law firm Bennett Jones Verchere. Michael Patrick Chan became the Chief Operating Officer, and Lydia Ducharme, who became Financial Administrator. They were joined by Colin MacIsaac in a new role as chief Administrative Officer. The Annual Bishop’s Appeal was being run by Dr. Robert Gall. The reorganization was designed to streamline operations, enhance efficiency, provide a greater level of service for parishes, address the growing demands on the Diocese as a leader in civil society, encourage lay participation and unify Diocesan operations under the authority of the Bishop.
Under Bishop Henry the accounting office grew. Dennis Gruenwald took over the Annual Bishop’s Appeal and Miriam Dawidowski became Controller in the Accounting Office.

Anderson, Neville Ramsay

  • ANDER
  • Person
  • 1898-1988

Born at Mount Corbet, Buttevant, County Cork, Ireland in 1898, Monsignor Anderson was educated at Churchtown, Cork, and in Hamilton, ON. He graduated from St. Michael's College, Toronto, and studied Theology at St. Augustine's Seminary, Toronto. He was ordained for the Diocese of Calgary by Bishop Kidd at St. Augustine's Seminary in August 1925.

Fr. Anderson was appointed Secretary to the Bishop on his arrival in Calgary and was Secretary for eight years while serving St. Angela's Chapel until April 1929, when the Redemptorists came to Calgary. He was appointed Chancellor in 1930 at the same time that he was appointed to the Bishop's Council. In 1933 he was named pastor of Taber and its missions.

In 1934 he was appointed pastor of Drumheller and missions. During his 12 years there he built churches at Drumheller and Munson and by renovating disused school buildings at small expense and with volunteer help and with the help of the Catholic Church Extension Society he provided churches at East Coulee, Dorothy, Rosedale, and Nacmine.

In 1946 Fr. Anderson was appointed pastor at St. Joseph's, Calgary on the death of Fr. Fergus O'Brien where he remained for 21 years during the extraordinary growth of the North Hill in Calgary when nine new churches were built and eight parishes divided from the original St. Joseph's parish while it still remained the largest parish in the Diocese. In 1939 Fr. Anderson was appointed Dean of Drumheller. He was named Pro-Synodal Judge of the Diocesan Court in 1950, and was appointed Domestic Prelate to the Pope in 1957. In 1960 he was made Dean of North Calgary. Monsignor Anderson was named Vicar General in January 1963 and was appointed to the Council of Administration.

On the death of Bishop Carroll in 1967 Anderson was elected Vicar Capitular by unanimous vote on the first ballot, and served until the installation of Bishop Klein. He was re-appointed Vicar General by Klein and became pastor of St. Anthony's, Calgary in July 1967. He was pastor of Canmore and missions during the winter of 1968-9 and pastor of St. Patrick's, Midnapore until Sept 1970. He was appointed Director of the Priests' Centre in Sept 1970 and Director of Diocese Archives in 1971. He died on October 8, 1988.

Annual Bishop's Appeal

  • ABA
  • Corporate body
  • 1993-2010

Established by O’Byrne in 1993 to raise funds for Catholic Charities, the first campaign kicked off on February 21, 1993. The ‘ShareLife’ Committee had been preparing, planning and negotiating for months to get the Appeal going. The name was chosen after consultation with the Council of Priests. They wanted a name that originated with the Diocese and that ‘signi[ied] the Body of Christ active in a work of charity’. The first director was Richard Garnett. By Oct 19, 1992 the Annual Bishop’s Appeal had a name, logo, and a board of directors, including Fr. Burke Hoschka, Patrick Doherty (Chair), Richard Garnett and Fr. Ed Flanagan. It was registered as a charity on Jul 24, 1992.
The first theme of the ABA was ‘Love one another as I have loved you’.
[Letter from Bishop O’Byrne to Fr. Francis Van Tighem, RCDCA 30.923]

Assembly of Women Religious, Diocese of Calgary

  • AWR
  • Corporate body
  • 1999-

In 1979 women religious in the Calgary Diocese were surveyed to see if there would be any interest in establishing a council in response to Bishop Paul J. O'Byrne’s call for collaboration. At the end of 1979 the data was compiled and sent to a steering committee comprising Sisters Joan Wigbers SP, Kathleen Kelly SSS, Salvator Falardeau OP, Lois Anne Bordowitz FCJ and Carla Montante SP. The sisters voted 71 to 3 in favour of forming a group to support a number of functions such as communication, social, sharing, support, ongoing formation and vocation awareness. (There were 6 don’t knows). Groups already existed in Calgary and Lethbridge. The fledgling Council for Religious held its first meeting, with 50 participants, at the FCJ Convent in Calgary in April 19, 1980, when the first executive was installed by Bishop Paul with Sr. Carla Montante as chairperson. The purpose of the Council for Religious of the Diocese of Calgary was to:

  1. Be a vehicle for communication in the Diocese
  2. Provide opportunities for religious to share their ministries
  3. Foster mutual support and growth by sponsoring workshops, days of prayer, socials, etc.

Bishop Paul saw the ‘Sisters’ Council’ as ‘the voice for Sisters in relationship to the apostolate of our Diocese, both to giving insights into what should be done and insights into what Sisters see as need within the Diocese’. He also felt that in 1985 this had not really been accomplished.

By 1987 the Council of Religious stated that it was ‘an organ of communication and a voice for all the religious of the Diocese. Its purpose statement explained that ‘religious of different orders and congregations live and work in the various parishes or other structures of a diocese. Religious are part of the diocese and belong within the diocesan structure. If the religious are to have a voice within the diocese, they must group themselves together and from their ranks form a Diocesan Council of Religious.’

Bagnall, Lawrence J.

  • BAG
  • Person
  • 1941-

Born at Point of Pierre in Trinidad, British West Indies, on Sept 6, 1941, Fr. Bagnall was educated in Turner Valley, Calgary and at St. Joseph’s Seminary in Edmonton. He was ordained at St. Mary’s Cathedral, Calgary by Bishop Klein in Calgary on May 27, 1967. Fr. Bagnall served at Sacred Heart in Calgary, St. Patrick’s, Medicine Hat and St. Anthony’s, Drumheller. In 1973 he was appointed Pastor of Sacred Heart Parish, Oyen. In 1976 he went to Malawi as a missionary in the Chikwawa Diocese at Nsanje Mission and at the Njale Mission in Thyolo. In 1980 he returned for five months as Administrator of St. Peter’s Parish, Milk River before returning to Africa as Assistant Pastor of St. Michael’s Cathedral, Chikwawa. For six months in 1982 he was posted to Our Lady of Fatima in Muona before returning to St. Michael’s. In 1984 Fr. Bagnall returned in Alberta to become Pastor at St. Augustine’s, Taber and in 1989 he was appointed Pastor of St. Peter’s Calgary. After a year’s sabbatical he was appointed Rector of St. Mary’s Cathedral in 1993. He retired Jul 31, 2008.

Calgary Catholic Immigration Society

  • CIS
  • Corporate body
  • 1981-

Formed from the amalgamation of Calgary Immigrant Services and the Diocesan Immigration Services in 1981. It hired counselors and settlement workers and a team of volunteers to assist immigrants and refugees. It was committed to family reunification, advocacy and the creation of a climate of acceptance within the general public. Opened Cabrini House in 1980 as transition housing.

Council of Priests

  • CP
  • Corporate body
  • 1992-2018

A new constitution of the Presbyteral Council of the RC Diocese of Calgary was signed by Bishop Paul O’Byrne and the Moderator and Vicar General, and chair of the Presbyteral Council V. Rev. John Schuster on May 11th, 1992 and revised on December 9th, 1997.
While the official name of the organization is the Presbyteral Council of the Diocese of Calgary, it is known as the Council of Priests. Governed by the Code of Canon Law its express purpose is to ‘provide a forum for the full and free discussion of issues of pastoral concern in the Diocese,’ and to aid the Bishop in the governance of the Diocese, seek out means for more effective ministry and to ‘be representative of the unity of the priests as a whole.’

Although all priests of the Diocese are said to have an ‘active and passive voice’ there are three categories of members who attend meetings. They are:

  1. Ex officio members; priests who are Vicars General, Chancellor, Moderator, members of the College of Consultors.
  2. Those appointed by the Bishop (maximum of five).
  3. Those elected by the presbyterate. Although the Bishop appoints the Deans for each deanery or pastoral zone, who are the deanery representatives on the Council, the dean may, with the Bishop’s permission chose to relinquish his place to another elected priest.

Although the bishop is not a member of the Council of Priests he is the ex officio President of the Council. The chair is normally the Moderator and the members elect a vice-chair and also, if required, a treasurer. The executive secretary is responsible for taking and distributing the minutes etc.

There will be no less than eight monthly meetings per year

Quorum is 2/3 Council membership. The executive committee – President, chair, vice-chair, and executive secretary prepare the agenda. Standing committees may be designated by the council according to its needs.

The Council is only consultative by its nature. Decisions of the Council are normally reached by consensus but if that is not possible in the view of the presider then a majority vote will decide.

The Council may be dissolved by the bishop but only after consultation with the Metropolitan. The Council ceases to exist and its functions revert to the College of Consultors when the Episcopal See becomes vacant.

The Council of Priests produced a newsletter 1968 to 1970.

Council of Social Affairs

  • COSA
  • Corporate body
  • 1966-1998

Calgary was one of the first dioceses in Canada to respond to the call of the Vatican Council and establish a council of social affairs. In 1972 a CCCB resolution calling for the development of social justice offices and programs across the country was passed. Bishop Carroll invited Rev. Pat O’Byrne to become director in 1966. When Fr. Pat left late in 1979 Rev. Jack Bastigal succeeded as director.
In 1986 COSA’s role covers two broad areas, ‘first striving to create an awareness of the social justice gospel and the social teachings of the Church in parishes and schools, and second active involvement in the community through ecumenical work. Its focus was on maintaining a firm presence for the Church in many vital areas and working with community organizations to foster greater justice on a variety of issues.’ Areas identified include the Good Friday Way of the Cross, work with the Catholic Bible College of Canada in Canmore, work through the Social Justice Commission, school outreach, active involvement with CCODP Fall Action and Share Lent programs, and the Unemployment Committee.
COSA was also responsible for the Inter-Faith Thrift Stores and the Diocesan Communications Department. (see 159/3181).

Results 1 to 25 of 71