Title and statement of responsibility area
Addresses to the Catholic Women's League of Canada
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Carroll, Francis P., 1890-1967
Physical description area
1 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
He was born on July 7, 1890 in Toronto where he also studied at St. Michael’s College, University of Toronto. He attended St. Augustine’s Seminary in 1913 and was ordained at the Seminary on June 2, 1917. He remained at St. Augustine’s for twelve years as professor of Scripture and then went to Jerusalem for two years to study at the Dominican Biblical School. After his return to St. Augustine’s, he was appointed Rector of the Seminary.
He took possession of the Calgary See on March 25, 1935. During this time, Western Canada had taken a hard hit from the Depression. Bishop Carroll continued to develop the Diocesan plan which began with Bishop Monahan—this serviced parish projects and consolidated some parochial debt.
After he became Bishop, there was an increase in native priests due to his encouragement as well as the growth of Catholic communities. During the latter part of his episcopate, more than half his clergy members were native priests.
Appointed fourth Bishop of Calgary in 1936 - a serious Biblical scholar, gifted speaker and effective administrator. In 1957 he was appointed as Assistant to the Pontifical Throne by Pope Pius XII. Bishop Carroll attended the first session of the Second Vatican Council until ill health forced his return home. Bishop Joseph L. Wilhelm was appointed Vicar General and auxiliary in 1963 until January 1965 when he left Calgary to become Archbishop of Kingston.
Carroll resigned as bishop on Dec 28, 1966, was appointed Apostolic Administrator, but he died on February 25, 1967.
Source: From the Buffalo to the Cross, pp. 133-135
Scope and content
File consists of the following :
- CWL Calgary Senior - Annual Meeting, Apr 21, 1936
- Junior CWL. Palliser Hotel, May 5, 1936 'The Apostolate'
- Annual meeting CWL Seniors. Cathedral School, Apr 13, 1937
- Junior League Annual meeting May 4, 1937
- Junior League. Sept 28, 1937 'Correspondence Course'
- CWL Seniors. Convention sermon, Oct 6, 1937. High River
- CWL Senior Annual Meeting, Apr 12, 1938, 'Christian Doctrine'
- CWL Aug 29, 1938, Palliser Hotel.
- Sermon delivered St. Mary's Cathedral, Winnipeg at the Convention Mass
- Annual meeting, Apr 9, 1940
- CWL Convention, Calgary, Oct 25, 1941
- Cathedral, Sermon 8am Mass Oct 26, 1941
- CWL National Convention, Calgary opening Nov 3, 1948
- CWL Annual, Jun 9 1956
- CWL Convention, Sept 3, 1944
- CWL 25th Anniversary, Clagary Sacred Heart Convent May 8, 1946
- CWL Diocesan Convention, Oct 26, 1946, 'Sterilization'.
Immediate source of acquisition
Variously numbered. Numbers do not correspond exactly to the listing included
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Generated finding aid
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Sept 11, 2017