Akenstadt, St. Nicholas

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Akenstadt, St. Nicholas

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1911-1915

History

A community of Dutch settlers farmed around the Akenstadt district north of Strathmore. A parish was canonically erected on Feb 16, 1911 and was called St. Nicholas. The land was donated by the C.P.R. Irrigation Company. The community was named for Fr. Van Aaken who came with the pioneers to this district. Despite this no church was every built there and the community continued to be served from Strathmore. Records indicate that Mass was celebrated at the Akenstadt School, or at the home of A.J.J. Weyers until 1915. Other pioneer family names include the Bartelens, Cammaerts, Damens, Gaertzs, Vanderswesterns and Voermans.

Places

Akenstadt, Alberta

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

CA RCDCA AR A1

Institution identifier

RCDCA

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created May 21, 2021

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places