Showing 8 results

Authority record
Bishop

Carroll, Francis P., 1890-1967

  • CA RCDCA AR C2
  • Person
  • July 7, 1890 - Feb 25, 1967

He was born on July 7, 1890 in Toronto where he also studied at St. Michael’s College, University of Toronto. He attended St. Augustine’s Seminary in 1913 and was ordained at the Seminary on June 2, 1917. He remained at St. Augustine’s for twelve years as professor of Scripture and then went to Jerusalem for two years to study at the Dominican Biblical School. After his return to St. Augustine’s, he was appointed Rector of the Seminary.

He took possession of the Calgary See on March 25, 1935. During this time, Western Canada had taken a hard hit from the Depression. Bishop Carroll continued to develop the Diocesan plan which began with Bishop Monahan—this serviced parish projects and consolidated some parochial debt.

After he became Bishop, there was an increase in native priests due to his encouragement as well as the growth of Catholic communities. During the latter part of his episcopate, more than half his clergy members were native priests.
Appointed fourth Bishop of Calgary in 1936 - a serious Biblical scholar, gifted speaker and effective administrator. In 1957 he was appointed as Assistant to the Pontifical Throne by Pope Pius XII. Bishop Carroll attended the first session of the Second Vatican Council until ill health forced his return home. Bishop Joseph L. Wilhelm was appointed Vicar General and auxiliary in 1963 until January 1965 when he left Calgary to become Archbishop of Kingston.

Carroll resigned as bishop on Dec 28, 1966, was appointed Apostolic Administrator, but he died on February 25, 1967.
Source: From the Buffalo to the Cross, pp. 133-135

Grandin, O.M.I., Vital Justin, 1829-1902

  • CA RCDCA AR G2
  • Person
  • 1829-1902

Vital Justin Grandin was born in 1829 at St. Pierre-la-Cour, Brittany, the ninth child in a family of fourteen. After spending some years in a secular seminary he joined the Oblates in 1851 and was ordained by the founder, Bishop Mazenod in 1954. He arrived in St. Boniface in November 1854 and spent some months learning local Indian languages. In spring 1855 he left with Bishop Tache for Ile-a-la-Crosse by Hudson Bay barge and then on to Trinity Mission on Lake Athabaska.
In 1857 at the age of 28 he was made titular Bishop of Salata and coadjutor to Bishop Tache. In 1871 St. Boniface became a Metropolitan Province and Bishop Grandin was made Bishop of the Diocese of St. Albert. He was Oblate Vicar of the Diocese with 15 priests and Bothers under him. In 1897 Bishop Emil Legal became his coadjutor. In 1929 the Canonical process was begun for his beatification.

Kidd, John T., 1868-1950

  • CA RCDCA AR K1
  • Person
  • 1868-Jun 2, 1950

John T. Kidd was born in Athlone, Ontario in 1868. After his studies at St. Michael’s College, University of Toronto he became the manager of a large lumber business. He then went to Rome to study for a doctorate in Theology, after which he was ordained on February 16, 1902 for the Diocese of Toronto. His first appointment was assistant and then pastor of St. Ann’s, Penetanguishene. On the death of Archbishop McEvay he was named Vicar Capitular of the Diocese of Toronto for a year. In 1911-1912 as the new seminary was being developed in Toronto Kidd was involved due to his administrative experience, and deep spirituality. In 1914 he was made a Domestic Prelate and on February 6, 1925 was appointed Bishop of Calgary. He was consecrated on May 6, 1925 in St. Michael’s Cathedral, Toronto by Apostolic Delegate Pietro di Maria and he took possession of his See on May 13, 1925.

On July 3, 1931 Kidd was appointed Bishop of London on the death of Bishop Fallon and he took possession of his See on September 23. Kidd died as Bishop of London on June 2, 1950.

Klein, Francis J., 1911-1968

  • CA RCDCA AR K2
  • Person
  • Aug 6, 1911- Feb 3, 1968

Francis Joseph Klein was born on a farm near Sedley, Saskatchewan, the eldest of 13 children. He was educated at Friedenthal Rural School, Sedley by the Loretto Nuns, St. Anthony’s College, Edmonton, and then Campion College. He entered St. Joseph’s Seminary, Edmonton and completed his theology at Regina Coeli Seminary. In 1934 after entering Laval University he was ordained at Sedley by Archbishop McGuigan of Regina. After completing a year of study at Laval he worked as a parish priest for 18 years, mainly in Mutrie and Quintin. He was appointed Bishop of Saskatoon in 1952 and on February 28, 1967 it was announced that he had been appointed Bishop of Calgary. He was installed by Archbishop Jordan of Edmonton but died February 3, 1968, only nine months later. A man of energy and enthusiasm, determined to implement the reforms of Vatican II, he had shown a strong commitment to education and social service and he encouraged extensive lay participation.

Legal, Emil, 1849-1920

  • CA RCDCA AR L2
  • Person
  • 1849-1920

Bishop Legal was born at Nantes, France in 1849 and was ordained in 1874. After he finished his classical studies at Nantes he graduated from the University of France where he studied theology philosophy, canon law and Hebrew under the Sulpicians. After ordination he taught science in the seminary and ecclesiastical colleges until he joined the Oblates six years later. Ha arrived in St. Albert in 1881 and was sent immediately to the Southern Missions as Superior. He worked out of Fort Macleod with Fr. Doucet. For 16 years he was missionary to the Blood and Piegan Indians on their Reserves until he was consecrated Bishop in 1897, coadjutor to Bishop Grandin whom he succeeded in 1902.
Under his leadership Calgary was made a new diocese in 1912 and Legal was appointed administrator until Bishop McNally arrived nearly nine months later. Edmonton was mad a Metropolitan Province in 1912 and Legal was made Archbishop. He died in Edmonton on May 10, 1920.

O'Byrne, Paul J., 1922-2004

  • CA RCDCA AR O1
  • Person
  • Dec 22, 1922- Sep 2, 2004

Sixth Bishop of Calgary, 1968-1998. Born in 1922, the youngest of five children, Paul grew up in Calgary, where his father, Dan was a small retail business owner who died in 1927. Paul’s mother Beebeanna had a strong faith which she passed on to her children. Nicknamed Pee Wee, Paul attended Sacred Heart and St. Mary’s Boys Schools, Calgary. He entered St. Joseph’s Seminary in Edmonton in 1942. He was ordained a priest on February 22, 1948, months after his mother died. Fr. O’Byrne served first as assistant at St. John’s, Calgary and then at St. Patrick’s, Medicine Hat. His first appointment as pastor was at St. Edmund’s, Medicine Hat in 1954. He moved to Banff in 1961 until 1967 when he was transferred to St. Joseph’s, Calgary. Shortly thereafter he became regional dean for North West Calgary. He was one of the first to be appointed after election by the priests of the deanery. Elected chair of the Priests’ Senate, O’Byrne was chosen as administrator of the Diocese on Klein’s death by the Diocesan Consultors. After a consultation meeting on February 15, 1968, O’Byrne was named Bishop of Calgary on June 21, 1968 and consecrated at St. Mary’s Cathedral on August 22, 1968. He submitted his resignation to the Vatican on his 75th birthday in December 1997. He officially retired on March 9, 1998. Bishop Paul O'Byrne died in Calgary in 2004.

Wilhelm, Joseph L., 1909-1995

  • CA RCDCA AR W1
  • Person
  • Nov 19, 1909 - Jun 25, 1995

Born on November 19, 1909 in Walkerton, Ontario. Having attended school in Walkerton, and St. Augustine's Seminary, Toronto, Wilhelm was ordained for the Diocese of Hamilton on June 9, 1934. He was assistant pastor at St. Mary's, Hamilton from 1934 to 1936, and at Christ the King Cathedral from 1936 until 1939, where he was also the Bishop's secretary. From 1939 to 1945 Wilhelm was Chaplain in the Canadian Army where he attained the rank of Major and won a Military Cross. After the war he studied for his Licentiate in Canon Law at the University of Ottawa and then served as pastor of Sts. Peter and Paul from 1947 until 1963. He was appointed vicar general and auxiliary to Bishop Carroll on June 28, 1963 and was ordained to the episcopate on August 22, 1963 in Hamilton by Cardinal McGuigan. When Bishop Carroll returned to Calgary after the first session of the Second Vatican Council, Bishop Wilhelm participated in the subsequent sessions of the Council in Bishop Carroll’s stead. During his time in Calgary, Bishop Wilhelm celebrated almost all the episcopal ceremonies and pontifical Masses. He also conferred almost all the ordinations and most of the confirmations. He became the Archbishop of Kingston in 1967.